Boy, 14, killed in shooting in Michigan City

A 14-year-old boy has died following a shooting in Michigan City, and police are now investigating the case as a homicide.

According to the  Michigan City Police Department, officers were called around 4:30 p.m. Friday, May 15, to the 300 block of West 11th Street for reports of a juvenile who had been shot.

When officers arrived, they found 14-year-old Devin Porter, of Michigan City, suffering from a life-threatening gunshot wound. Police said officers immediately began life-saving efforts before Porter was transported by LaPorte County EMS to Franciscan Health Michigan City, where he later died from his injuries.

Detectives and evidence technicians processed the scene and continue to interview witnesses, search for surveillance video and gather additional evidence. Investigators have not released information about a possible suspect.

Police said no additional details will be released at this time in order to protect the integrity of the investigation.

Anyone who witnessed the shooting or has information, surveillance footage or cellphone video is asked to contact Detective Kay Pliske at (219) 873-4810 or Detective Brock Moore at (219) 874-3221 ext. 1087.

Anonymous tips can also be submitted through  Michiana Crime Stoppers or the WeTip hotline.

Recent Posts